Friday, January 17, 2014

A Piece of String

How long is a piece of string?  If you quilt or knit or crochet or indulge your passion for  any other fibre pursuit you will have had to play with numbers. Yes the length of thread, fabric or yarn is always a consideration. Do I have enough of this or that?


A bobbin of  scrumptious odds and sods. I love how all the colours are playing together as I tease out a few fibres while treadling    right foot...left foot .... right foot ......  over and over the rhythm is soothing as I watch the colours of the wool play.

I begin to think even if this is just for the exercise maybe I can knit something, something easy would let the wool do the work. I hop over to Ravelry   and browse the vest/wrap patterns.  YES

 
BUT
 
 
I do not have enough
bits of dyed wool or enough time to spin double the length of yarn needed to make a plyed yarn.
 
WAIT 
 
How long is the piece of string I need?
 
 
 
 
 
1 kilometre is the best answer I was able to find after careful research/ guess. I skeined  off 1km. of fine weaving wool.  My choice is a soft warm brown colour with a hint of rose to ply with my eye popping spinning. It has been some lengthhhh...... of time since any dying was done but it seems to be a bit like ridding a bicycle. You don't forget.
 
Big weekend coming up Grand daughter's 11 Birthday weekend and Grandson is doing Karate Grading for his orange belt. We'll be there for all the celebrating. Where else would I want to be?
 
Hope you all have a happy weekend.  Terry 

 


3 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love that colourful bobbin of rainbow yarn! A kilometer of yarn seem like so much, but then I'd never thought how much you'd need to make a project. Have fun celebrating a special birthday and watching Karate. Ps The answer to How Long is a piece of string is - Twice half it's length. :)

Vireya said...

Pretty yarn! It will be nice to see how it look plyed together.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend of celebrations.

Nat Palaskas said...

Spinning is fun even if you don't need yarns. Your color is gorgeous Terry! Have fun - Hugs Nat