Saturday, August 20, 2011

Answer to THE Question

When did you start quilting?

I started quilting in my late teens. I'm not sure exactly when but I do remember looking at a vintage quilting book with templates for a Double Wedding Ring Quilt.




I drew up a square, divided it into shapes and made templates out of cereal boxes.  Ah little did I know there was more to patchwork than just sewing bits together

I stitched blocks alternated with white squares and stitched it all together. I know I stitched the pieced squares by hand but don't remember if the white squares where by hand or machine. It was stitched to a back (bagged) turned right side out and tied with crochet cotton.

This is the only picture of the QUILT that traveled to Australia. Well it was the only quilt I'd made.  .

The beautiful baby is my first born Heather. She is under a year old so that dates the quilt's completion before 1973.

Does any one else have a story or know what happened to their first bit of Patchwork?


I'm stitching small pressies to take away so no show and tell.

Have a good weekend my friends and treat yourself in some way   Terry



3 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Terry...I first learnt about patchwork in 1985...did some blocks...carted them around with me...and ended up with a quilt 20 years later...(it is on my side bar...the 20 year quilt.)...Back then we had a lady who had moved from America to the Blue Mountains (where I was) and we put fabric on sandpaper (so it wouldn't move) and proceeded pulling a thread to get a straight line...My, things have come a long way since then...But then i didn't really take up patchwork till about 2000...and I am still slow!!! Hope you are having a great weekend...it's real duck weather here...Dzintra

Nat Palaskas said...

Hey Terry, your first quilt is cute, sort of nine patch! My first was made in New Guinea in 1989, machine pieced and hand quilted. It was nine patch variation. It was a queen quilt for our bed for many years. Happy presents making - Hugs Nat

Rachaeldaisy said...

Hi Terry its so nice to hear about your first adventures into patchwork. My first quilt is on the bed at the moment!! That's such a cute baby photo of Heather. Has she been tempted to try patchwork?